Documents needed for college applications

College applications

Documents needed for college applications

College applications time is here! Most students at this juncture feel a mix of both anxiety and excitement. To help you save time we have put together a list of all documents required to help you check and prepare a documents set in advance. The papers needed are listed below:

Documents for all students:

  • Proof of date of birth: Birth certificate original + 2 attested photocopies
  • Mark sheet and pass certificate Class X : Class X mark sheet (original + 4 attested photocopies)* Pass certificate (original + 2 attested photocopies)
  • Mark sheet and pass certificate Class XII: Class XII mark sheet (original + 4 attested photocopies)* Pass certificate (original + 2 attested photocopies)
  • School/ college leaving certificate 
  • Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate: Aadhar card, Ration card (original + 2 attested photocopies). This certificate is to prove that you’ve been the resident of a particular state or union territory.
  • 18-24 Passport size photos: Each college application will require a minimum of two passport size photographs. This requirement may go to six or more depending on the college and the number of colleges being applied to. Students are advised to carry 24 photographs them until the admission process is over.
  • ID Card Photographs: Two ID card size photos
  • Fees: Take the amount to pay for fees in cash or demand draft

Additional Documents for other boards

  • Provisional certificate: Provisional mark sheet (in case you are awaiting the original) If you are applying to a Mumbai college from outside Maharashtra, you will need a provisional certificate. This is also applicable to students who have completed their ISC or CBSE boards and are applying for admission in state universities.
  • International Boards (IB, IGCSE, Cambridge): Predicted scores + 4 photocopies and Prima Facie Eligibility from the University of Mumbai
  • International Students: Attested copy of the passport (for international students)
  • Transfer certificate: Transfer certificate and previous mark sheets (for those who wish to switch colleges on completion of the first year of the degree programme)

Additional Documents for reservation:

  • Caste certificate: This is for students applying under the SC/ST/OBC quota. Valid Caste certificate and Non Creamy layer certificate.
  • Migration certificate: Certificate for students from other states
  • Proof of disability: If you wish to avail of the handicap quota.
  • Extracurricular Activities (ECA) quota or Sports Quota: It is advisable to those applying for this quota to take proof of participation and of winning any events you’ve taken part in.
  • Community Certificate: For those students that are applying for such a quota


  • Gap certificate (on stamp paper) Those students that have taken a gap in their education are required to obtain an affidavit from a court. Student that have taken a gap in their education are advised t is usually advisable to carry some kind of proof of what you’ve been doing during the gap.


  • Those student that ate  are sending these certificates by post, need to remember to send an Acknowledgment Card (for colleges to acknowledge that they’ve received the documents) and a self addressed stamped envelope.
  • Every college issues a list of documents required.  Students are advised to make sure that they have all the documents on this list when they apply.
  • Remember to take attested photocopies of all the above.

*Colleges require students to submit both original and attested copies at the time of admission. This is done to prevent students from taking admission in two colleges or migrating to another college without officially withdrawing. The originals can usually be taken back later from the college office.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *